The first record of Methodism in Epsom is of meetings in a cottage on Epsom Common in 1840. Subsequently there was a move to a barn roughly at the back of where Sainsbury's Central is now. It is reported that on one occasion a donkey wandered in during a service. As the society grew there was a move to a chapel in Waterloo Road, part of the former open-air market.
In 1914 the present church was built and the chapel became the Foresters Hall. Even at this stage the congregation came from quite a distance, several walking from Ashtead one way and taking a train for the other if not walking both ways.
The move to Ashley Road was taken only after much deliberation; while there was a desire for example to get away from the disturbance of services by the whistling of steam trains at the station. There was also a fear for the safety of children crossing the High Street to the new site.
Both world wars left some mark on the life of the church. In the first a police sergeant, at the police station then opposite EMC, who was a member of EMC was killed during rioting by Canadian troops. (more below)
In the second the buildings suffered some damage from a flying bomb which landed in the vicinity. It was during this war that the Youth Club that later formed such a strong part of EMC's work among young people was started providing a meeting place to which young men and women in the forces could come and be with others of the same age group.
The late 1950s and early 1960s saw the building of the Church Hall and the addition of the transept to the main church building. While in 1984 the extension to the Church Hall block was built and named the Leyland Rooms in honour of Dr Leyland who served EMC so many years in his "retirement".
Sources: Glorious Burden By Rev Dr Leonard P Barnett Epsom Methodist Church 1964 - 1989 By Rev Dr A Stanley Leyland
An Audiotape prepared in the early 1950s recounting memories of the move from Waterloo Road to Ashley Road.